Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Sudan, Diamonds, The Congo, and YOU!!

I like to believe that I am in some small way an activist for the Sudanese people, and the people of Darfur. I try to educate people of the genocide going on there, of the terrible living conditions the refugees must face to try as they might to protect their families, and of the fear in which the people live and why. I also speak out against the diamond trade and I advocate for the victims of that trade. I tell people of the atrocities taking place each day so that rich Americans can have diamond rings and other jewelry. I don't wear ANY kind of fake diamonds...on necklaces, earrings, bracelets, headbands, etc. because I don't want to perpetuate the idea that diamonds are desired, that they are beautiful. It sickens me to see people wearing them. It sickens me that people use another peron's death or pain or fear or suffering to show their love in a wedding ring. There is nothing okay about wearing a diamond, real or fake. Wearing one advertises to the world that you are okay with hurting other people so you can look pretty. I have recently learned of the holocaust in the Congo. I am trying to educate myself further about what is happening there. It sickens me that people are using rape as a weapon of war. I don't know much about what is going on in the Congo, but I will learn more. These are things about which I feel very strongly. I want to let others know of the horrible things taking place in Africa, because I don't think many people know at all! I didn't for a LONG time, and look now, I didn't even know about what was going on in the Congo! I just wanted to blog about these things to put it out there...to give a voice to the voiceless, to speak out for those who have no way to speak for themselves. There are horrible things going on all over the world, even right here in the US. I don't want to be on a soap-box here, but I was thinking a good idea would be for everyone (myself mostly!) to think of one thing happening in the world that they don't think is fair or just or right, and learn more about it. Even if you can't DO anything about it, being educated is half the battle, I think. KNOWING about it at least shows you CARE. Also, if you know about something, you can better advocate for those victims. I think it would be amazing if everyone reading this blog posted something they feel strongly about! I, as well as everyone else, could learn about what YOU feel strongly about. Maybe my list of things for which I advocate would grow! I would LOVE that!!!!!

No comments: